One of the most comprehensive and trusted world trade statistics collections available
The United Nations Commodity Trade Statistics Database (UN Comtrade) was established in the early 1960s. For almost fifty years, it has provided a wealth of trade information to policy makers, the business community, research institutions and the general public. It stores standardised official annual and monthly trade statistics reported by countries and reflects international merchandise flows detailed by commodity and partner country with coverage reaching up to 99 percent of world merchandise trade.
UN Comtrade gives you instant access to more than 3.3 billion records on merchandise trade from over 200 reporting countries or areas covering 54 years of data and more than 6000 different products. The data are updated continuously with about 300 million records added per year. With UN Comtrade you spend your time researching instead of searching.
Free basic data access to UN Comtrade
For technical reasons, the current download limit is set to 100,000 records per query. There is no limit on the number of queries. As computing capacity is expanded, the limitation will be relaxed further.
- The 100,000 records per query limitation is waived for the following users: institutional users (government, inter-government agencies, NGOs), data providers, permanent missions to the United Nations and members of the Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities (CCSA). For these cases, registration is required and you can submit the request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UN Comtrade Key Features
Comtrade Explorer: Enter country name, commodity or year and this data mining tool will give an instant overview of data you are looking for. Thereafter, you can dig for more refined data.
UN Comtrade Knowledge Base: This is a repository of background information on UN Comtrade. It explains the functionalities, the concepts behind the data, why imports and exports differ and the answers to some frequently asked questions.
UN Comtrade Data API: With this, you can tap directly into the data without using a web user interface. The API powers many of trade data visualization in UN Comtrade Labs (http://comtrade.un.org/labs/)
- Support: If you are still left with questions, there is single point of contact, namely email@example.com.
Premium access to UN Comtrade
There are occasions when a user may require premium service to obtain trade data. These could include bulk download of millions of records or special professional assistance. In this regard, a fee will be charged to cover the costs of providing such services.
|Option*||User Access||Records Limit||Limit per Query||Annual Fee|
|My Comtrade||Single User||Unlimited||100,000||US$ 121.30|
|Premium Individual License||Single User||Unlimited||20,000,000||US$ 909.75|
|Premium Site License||Multiple Users||Unlimited||No Limit**||US$ 6,065.00|
Premium Individual License allows use of the UN Comtrade personalization features available under My Comtrade***, including a feature to perform a bulk download of millions of records.
Premium Site License is IP controlled. On the basis of the registered IP addresses of the institution, the users have automatic access to UN Comtrade.
UN Comtrade Web Services and UN Comtrade Bulk Data API are only offered as part of the Premium Site License and enables users to automatically extract and download data and metadata through their own applications or through ComtradeTools which is a small program available for free download (Beta version). Web Services uses a straightforward REST architecture and can be easily integrated to any application. Web Services eliminates the need to download data manually via the traditional web user interface.
- Premium License users also have free access to the World Integrated Trade Solution (WITS) application and the BACI database.
WITS is a simple to use yet powerful software which gives access to trade and tariff-related statistical information as well as some simulation and analysis tools. Trade flows and tariff data can be extracted for use in self-contained analysis and simulation tools or for further manipulation outside WITS in a spreadsheet or statistical software.
BACI database is an international trade database from CEPII covering more than 200 countries and 5,000 products. The database is constructed from Comtrade data, to which a reconciliation procedure between the declarations of importers and exporters, developed by CEPII, is applied.
- Trial Premium Site License is offered to institutions. Please submit your request by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive premium access for one month.
A discount of 25% will apply to not-for-profit organizations such as academic institutions, governmental and intergovernmental organizations, NGOs and individuals. Users should email their requests to email@example.com or fax it to: 1-212-963-3489.
- * All premium access options have a time frame of one year counting from the day of activation.
- **When data are streamed via web services or accessed through API.
- ***My Comtrade is a personalization feature that allows users to do the following: save and manage frequently used queries, set automatic alert of newly updated data, customize file download layout, create customized groups of countries or commodities, and submit query through batch system.
How to Order
To order, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the subscription type from the options offered (My Comtrade, Premium Individual License, Premium Site License). Upon receipt of your request, we will contact you to arrange your preferred method of payment and set up access either by Internet Protocol (IP) authentication or User Name and Password.